Complete all the items in the 36 to 24 months, 24 to 18 months, 18 to 12 months, 12 to 6 months, and 6 to 1 month checklists. If you are just beginning your preparations for retirement you must work on all items simultaneously.
Your retirement date is almost here! Focus on the following in this last month of preparation:
(Remember to do these tasks earlier if you are taking a long terminal leave or transition administrative absence.)
- If not completed yet:
- Out-process/pick up DD Form 214
- Ship household goods
- Attend retirement ceremony
- Pick up your military medical and dental records, and those of your family members
- If retiring from Active Duty, enroll in FEDVIP dental/vision care insurance plans.
- Make an appointment at an ID card facility to obtain a new Retiree Military I.D. for yourself and new Dependent ID cards for your Family Members as close to the day after your last day in uniform as possible. Your benefits will be different as a Retired Soldier so this is an important step.
- Complete all tasks in the Month of Retirement checklist.