You’ve figured out what kind of education you want to pursue and you are starting your research on where you want to go. Congratulations!

One big thing that you want to take into consideration while you are looking is how you are going to pay for your classes.

Fortunately, as a service member, veteran, or even a family member, there are many resources and benefits available to help you pay for your education, including tuition assistance and education benefits programs for service members and veterans, tax credits and deductions, federal grants and loans, and scholarship programs (and visit our Credentials & Licensing tab for information about the Army Credentialing Assistance Program).

  • Tuition Assistance Program
    • If you are still in the Army, the very first thing you need to check out is the Army’s Tuition Assistance program.
    • The program is open to active duty, National Guard, and Reserve Component service members; can fund up to 100 percent of your college tuition; and can be used for undergraduate and graduate degrees, vocational and technical programs, or distance learning classes.
    • Learn more from Military OneSource or MyArmyBenefits.
  • VA Education Benefits (e.g., GI Bill)
    • The VA administers several education benefit programs – including the GI Bill programs - to help service members, veterans, and eligible family members achieve their education goals. These benefit programs offer financial support for undergraduate and graduate degrees, non-college degree programs, technical training or certifications, licensing and certification tests, apprenticeships, on-the-job training, and more.
    • The Post-9/11 GI Bill is the most frequently used VA education benefit program. It provides aid for college or an advanced degree, technical training, on-the-job training or a certification, or licensing and certification for those who served on active duty after September 10, 2001. Depending on how long you were in the military, it can cover up to 100 percent of your tuition, money for housing, and money for books and supplies. Eligible service members can also transfer unused education benefits to their spouse and children.
    • Click the links to learn more about GI Bill benefits from the VA’s GI Bill Benefits page and Military OneSource.
    • Or click to find out more about other VA education benefit programs, including the Montgomery GI Bills, the Veterans’ Education Assistance Program, and the Survivors’ and Dependents’ Education Assistance (DEA) Program.

Disclaimer: The resources and links listed above are provided to assist you in pursuit of your education goals. The organizations listed are not an endorsement or partnership of the U.S. Army or Soldier For Life program.