Soldiers should start gathering information and planning their military retirements 36 months before they plan to retire. The vast majority of Soldiers say that they did not start soon enough and then rushed to complete their retirement preparation. Twenty four months before the retirement date, Active Duty and AGR Soldiers should attend the Retirement Planning Seminar provided by a Retirement Services Officer (RSO). THIS IS NOT TAP! The Retirement Planning Seminar explains many other subjects not explained in TAP! Spouses are strongly encouraged to attend.
Visit your Retirement Services Officer for information on briefing dates, times, and locations.
Retirement planning Documents
Mandatory DA Retirement Planning Seminar (Please read all sticky notes, located in the top left corner of the slides)
Getting Ready to Retire
- Applying for Active Enlisted Retirement
- Applying for Active Officer Retirement
- Applying for Reserve Component Retirement
- Types of Retirement
- Survivor Benefit Plan
- Estimate your Retired Pay
- DoD Actuary Comparison of SBP to Life Insurance
- Estimate your SBP Premiums
- Retired Pay plans and how your retired pay is calculated
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Welcome Kit