More than 30 percent of active duty military spouses require state-issued licenses for their careers. When they move to another state due to a PCS move, they often require a professional recertification or relicensure because each state has different requirements and certifications.

In order to alleviate some of the challenges caused by this process, many states have implemented or are in the process of implementing license portability measures for military spouses including expedited applications, temporary licenses, or complete license recognition. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Military Spouse Interstate License Recognition Options map shows state-by-state license recognition information.

Read more about Transferring Your Professional License from Military OneSource or check out this information about renewing a professional license from the National Military Family Association.

And some good news? Civilian military spouses are now eligible to receive up to $1,000 in reimbursements for job relicensing costs during PCS moves.