FORT LEE, Va. (September 22, 2016) – Whether it's ingredients for an Oktoberfest meal, candy for Halloween, or snacks and beverages for the big football game, the commissary is the place to shop for low prices on popular items, said Tracie Russ, the Defense Commissary Agency's director of sales.
"The fall season is always a great time to shop the commissary," Russ said. "We're offering daily specials throughout the stores and seasonal club packs at great savings for the upcoming holidays.
"We also want our patrons to know it's National Apple Month and our produce departments feature coupon bundles for savings on a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables," she added. "And, if you don't have your Commissary Rewards Card yet, get one now at your commissary to get in on great deals and giveaways."
Throughout October, DeCA's industry partners – vendors, suppliers and brokers – are collaborating with commissaries to offer discounts beyond everyday savings. Overseas stores may have substitute events for certain promotional programs.
Check with your local commissary for details on dates and times for the following promotions:
- Northland presents "Drink To Pink" event. In recognition of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Apple and Eve's Northland brand will donate 25 cents per bottle sold (up to $25,000) during October in stateside commissaries. All proceeds will go to the Breast Cancer Research Fund.
- Kale – green food extraordinaire, will highlight National Kale Day, which is Oct. 5. From Oct. 3 to 9, commissaries worldwide will promote kale as one of the most nutritious and versatile leafy greens. Dr. Drew Ramsey, co-founder of National Kale Day, remarked, "We've seen what we call the kale army of loyal followers grow over the years, but to now actually have the support of military members and their family members getting involved in National Kale Day is so exciting and more than I could have ever hoped for." Commissaries will host in-store events that will include demos and special promotions plus a variety of recipes including kale smoothies, stir-fry and salads. Posters will feature information about the National Kale Day website that has more recipes, special prizes and giveaways.
- Oktoberfest Continues! Through mid-October, commissary customers will find displays and coupons for imported items from Germany and other European countries. A full line of German products will be available including chocolates, cookies, sauerkraut, mustard, red cabbage, pickles, noodles, coffee and more.
- Unilever presents "Italian & American Festival of Savings" from Sept. 26 through Oct. 9 worldwide. Look for coupon flyers and mass displays of Unilever brands: Hellmann's/Best Foods, Lipton, Knorr, Country Crock, Magnum, and Breyers as well as personal care brands including Dove, Vaseline, and TRESemme. A donation of up to $20,000 will be made to Fisher House based on sales.
- General Mills announces a customer appreciation event: "We Honor and Thank You for All That You Do." From Sept. 26 through Oct. 23, commissaries will have General Mills store displays featuring high-value coupons; online they will offer Commissary Rewards Card coupons.
- Quaker's annual breakfast coupon bundling program runs from Sept. 26 through Oct. 23 featuring a "buy any three participating Quaker products, save $2," offer. There are also recipes for breakfast, lunch and dinner on various Quaker products.
- Stock Your Pantry – The Great Grocery Giveaway. Oct. 10 – 23, shoppers can register to win one of 120 Commissary Gift Cards valued at $100 each. Winners will be selected at random from entries submitted online or via tear pads at stores worldwide.
- Celebrate Family Values! Purchase any two items from Cottonelle, Huggies, Kleenex, Scott Products or Viva brands and be automatically entered to win a $250 Commissary Gift Card when you use your Commissary Rewards Card. The promotion runs through Oct. 23.
- Urban Pie Pizza Company is offering $1off any one Urban Pie Premium Frozen Pizza when you use your Commissary Rewards Card from Oct. 1 to 15 at stores worldwide.
- Football Stuff! Buy four Campbell's Chunky soup or chili can items and enter for a chance to win a $100 NFL Gift Card when you use your Commissary Rewards Card. No purchase is necessary. Promotion runs worldwide Oct. 1 through Jan.3, 2017.
- More Football Stuff! Oct.15 – Nov. 15, Nabisco will offer a chance to win one of 20 pairs of tickets to the Army-Navy Game when you use your Commissary Rewards Card. The Dec. 10 game will be at the M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore, Maryland. Travel and hotel expenses are not included.
- "Halloweeeeen!" "Get it while the gettin' is goooood!" There is still a lot of Halloween candy to be purchased before All Hallow's Eve. Roam the spooky aisles of your local commissary and get your favorite treats before they disappear.
- Thanksgiving holiday meal. Start asking for the free turkey coupon booklet around the last week of October to take advantage of over $59 in savings. Commissary customers worldwide will be able to use high-value coupons to receive a free Thanksgiving turkey. This year's industry partners include Kraft Foods, General Mills, Heinz, P&G, Nabisco, Kellogg's, Johnsonville, Pepperidge Farm, Campbells, Frito Lay, Fresh Express and more. Turkey preparation tips and holiday recipes are also featured. Supplies of these booklets will be limited. Check out the customized turkey website at www.mymilitarysavings.com.
About DeCA: The Defense Commissary Agency operates a worldwide chain of commissaries providing groceries to military personnel, retirees and their families in a safe and secure shopping environment. Commissaries provide a military benefit and make no profit on the sale of merchandise. Authorized patrons purchase items at cost plus a 5-percent surcharge, which covers the costs of building new commissaries and modernizing existing ones. By shopping regularly in the commissary, patrons save thousands of dollars annually. A core military family support element, and a valued part of military pay and benefits, commissaries contribute to family readiness, enhance the quality of life for America's military and their families, and help recruit and retain the best and brightest men and women to serve their country.