Retiree Dental and Vision Plan Changes Coming for 2019
What is happening?
On December 31, 2018, the Defense Health Agency's TRICARE Retiree Dental Program (TRDP), administered by Delta Dental, will end. However, individuals currently enrolled in or eligible for TRDP will have the opportunity to enroll in the Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program (FEDVIP)* during the Federal Benefits Open Season from November 12 through December 10, 2018.
What is FEDVIP?
FEDVIP is a voluntary, enrollee-pays-all dental and vision program that offers eligible participants a choice between 10 dental and four vision carriers (with most plans offering both high and standard options). In general, retired uniformed service members and their families who were eligible for the TRDP in 2018 are eligible for FEDVIP dental coverage and, if enrolled in a TRICARE health plan, are also eligible for FEDVIP vision coverage, beginning in 2019. In addition, family members of active duty uniformed service members who are enrolled in a TRICARE health plan are eligible for FEDVIP vision coverage.
How to prepare for the transition
- Use the eligibility tool to determine if you are eligible for FEDVIP:
- View 2018 FEDVIP plans and premiums** to become familiar with the new program, and compare the 2018 plan year benefits and rates (FEDVIP premiums are based on retiree's residential zip code)
- Register for a live webinar, which provides an overview of the TRDP-to-FEDVIP transition.
- Stay informed by signing up to receive updates from the Defense Health Agency. *The current 2018 plans and premiums are for reference only. Plan details and premium rates for the 2019 plan year will be available in October of 2018.
- Don't miss the opportunity to enroll!The opportunity to enroll in FEDVIP will be during the next Federal Benefits Open Season, which runs from November 12 through December 10, 2018, with coverage effective January 1, 2019.If you are currently enrolled in a TRDP plan, you will not be automatically enrolled in a FEDVIP plan for 2019. You must enroll during open season.Still have questions?To learn more about the transition, go to the section of tricare.benefeds.com.
*As directed in the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) for Fiscal Year 2017