Remember to maintain your SBP election when you divorce

What happens if a court orders you to provide former spouse SBP during your divorce? If you have spouse SBP coverage, you have one year from the date of the divorce to request former spouse SBP coverage. Your request must be submitted to the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) on a DD Form 2656-1 (SBP Election Statement for Former Spouse Coverage) with a copy of your divorce decree and any subsequent court orders. Former spouse SBP premiums are retroactive to your date of divorce. Court ordered former spouse SBP coverage can be stopped only if the court amends its order or the former spouse dies. If you do not comply with the court order within one year of the divorce, the law precludes you from making the change and you may be held in contempt of court.