Let's Get Ready For Tax Season

Getting ready for the 2019 tax season should start now. The 2019 tax season will bring big changes for everyone.

For now, the most important task is to make sure that you have an active myPay account and that your mailing address is correct. If you have updated your information with another government agency such as the Department of Veterans' Affairs (VA) or the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting Service (DEERS) you also need to update your information with DFAS and vice-versa.Log on to myPayWe know that some of you only use myPay once a year to get your 1099-R during tax season. Then, when you do try to access your account, you discover that your password is expired, lost or forgotten. If this sounds like something that has happened to you, please update your password now, before the tax season starts. Waiting to update your password means longer wait times and potential delays in receiving your tax documents. The paragraphs below explain several options for obtaining a new password.Expired myPay Passwords          myPay passwords expire every 150 days and you will automatically receive an email approximately 10 days before your password expires to remind you to update your password. To find out more about password requirements, go to https://go.usa.gov/xPD3rReactivating myPay accountsIf your myPay account is in an inactive status because your password has expired, you can follow the simple steps below to reactivate your account.   1. Go to mypay.dfas.mil in your web browser on a computer or connected device (like a smartphone)   2. Click on the "Forgot or Need a Password?" link and enter your Login ID or Social Security Number   3. Choose to send a temporary password to your email or mailing address of record and then, when you receive the temporary password, go back to mypay.dfas.mil and log in to re-activate your account.Please do not wait until January, February, or March to access your myPay account in order to be prepared for tax season.The self-service options available through myPay simplify the management of military retirement and give you access to personalized information about your retirement account. Check out the link below for helpful tips when navigating myPay:https://go.usa.gov/xPD34Is Your Mailing Address Correct? Don't Miss Out on Your Tax Documents and Other Important Information!When your pay is deposited directly to your bank account, you might not think it's important to have a current mailing address on file with DFAS. But if you don't update your mailing address when you move, or even if you're just wintering in a warmer climate, we won't be able to reach you if we need to send you important information about your pay account, like your tax documents.Please keep in mind that even if you update your address in DEERS or with the VA, you also need to update your address with DFAS, and vice versa.It's easy to update your mailing address with DFAS.Update your mailing address in myPayThe quickest and easiest way to update your mailing address is to use myPay:If you have trouble logging in to myPay, use the troubleshooting instructions on our homepage:
You can also call 888-DFAS-411 (888-332-7411).
1. After logging in, find the Correspondence Address link on the Main Menu
2. Enter the correct address
3. Save your changes and close the screen or use the link at the top of the page in the gray bar to return to the main menu
4. Your account will be updated in three to seven business daysUpdate your mailing address online using AskDFAS (retirees only)If you are retiree, you can also use our convenient online form at AskDFAS to update your mailing address:Simply fill out the required information in the form and answer the identity verification questions to submit your mailing address update.Update your mailing address by mail or faxComplete a Retiree Change of Address/State Tax Withholding Request, DD Form 2866Mail or fax it to DFAS.For retirees:For annuitants, beneficiaries and survivorsDefense Finance and Accounting Service
U.S. Military Retired Pay
8899 E 56th Street
Indianapolis IN 46249-1200Fax: 800-469-6559Defense Finance and Accounting Service
U.S. Military Annuitant Pay
8899 E 56th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46249-1300Fax: 800-982-8459 Please keep in mind that it can take 30-60 days for us to process a paper form.https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/newsevents/newsletter/Let-s-Get-Ready-for-Tax-Season-Sept-2018.html