Get your free personal online my Social Security account today!
June 11, 2015
Deciding when to retire or when to start collecting social security is a milestone decision. Arming yourself with as much information as possible will help you make smart financial decisions for you and your Family.
Did you know that Retired Soldiers can start to collect at age 62? Did you know that you will collect 7-8 percent more in your monthly social security check for each year you defer past this age? What you get depends on what you have been paying in or, if you are married and your spouse makes more, what your spouse paid in.
The Social Security Administration’s “my Social Security” account is a free, online tool that will help you keep track of your earnings, estimate future benefits if you are still working, manage your benefits and more.
You can sign up for free here: https://secure.ssa.gov/RIL/SiView.do
If you already receive benefits or have Medicare, you can:
- Get your benefit verification letter;
- Check your benefit and payment information and your earnings record;
- Change your address and phone number;
- Start or change direct deposit of your benefit payment; and
- Get a replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S for tax season.
If you do not receive benefits, you can:
- Get your Social Security Statement, to review:
- Estimates of your future retirement, disability, and survivors benefits;
- Your earnings once a year to verify the amounts we posted are correct; and
- The estimated Social Security and Medicare taxes you’ve paid.
- Get a benefit verification letter stating that:
- You never received Social Security benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Medicare; or
- You received benefits in the past, but do not currently receive them (The letter will include the date your benefits stopped and how much you received that year.); or
- You applied for benefits but haven’t received an answer yet.
Setting up an account is quick, secure, and easy. Join the millions and create an account now!