Discover your benefit at commissaries.com
Most of us, especially retirees on fixed incomes, can appreciate saving a little cash on groceries. Whether you’re on active duty, a reservist or a retiree, every dollar helps.
“When patrons shop in their commissary, they are redeeming their “golden ticket” to savings on groceries and household items,” said Gary Frankovich, chief of strategic communications at the Defense Commissary Agency.
However, Frankovich says commissary-authorized retirees and their families may be leaving money on the table and not saving the most they possibly can from their benefit simply by not using features of the commissary’s website, www.commissaries.com.
“If you haven’t been to the commissary website lately you may be surprised at the number of sales, services and programs available to help you keep a little more of that green stuff in your pocket and in your bank account,” he added.
Here are some of the site’s highlights accessible from the menu bar at the top of the homepage.
Under the Shopping tab:
• The commissary Sales and Events page features the current commissary sales flyer. Shoppers can log in to confirm they are authorized commissary shoppers and see pictures of products on sale with sale prices. The flyer changes every two weeks as products go on and off sale. The page also lists new products, and an Exclusive Savings link to coupons and other offers from commissary vendors
• The Savings Aisle allows visitors to see every product on sale after selecting a specific store from the drop down menu. Medium and large commissaries will have more sale products listed because only products available in all commissaries – small and large – appear on the sales flyer
• The Commissary Rewards Card section explains the commissary’s hassle-free, online digital coupon program. Authorized shoppers can register their card and add coupons here
• Other money-saving features include the ability to subscribe to the Commissary Connection e-newsletter, find dates and locations of future Guard and Reserve on-site sales and place an order for Commissary Gift Cards. There’s even a video explaining the Commissary Value Brands – one of the best ways to save in the commissary.
Under the Healthy Living tab:
• Find Better For You recipes and nutrition information
• Get Be Food Safe advice – such as how to avoid spreading bacteria when working with raw chicken
• See Cooking Tips, designed for anyone who wants to avoid meal preparation disasters or for those who simply want to know how to dress a Cincinnati Five-way Chili Dog.
Other homepage features include a Locations tab that makes it easier for site visitors to find a store. Each commissary has its own pages with hours of operation, telephone numbers, email addresses, directions and a place for the store director to add store news. “The commissary is a benefit that military members have earned through service to their country and one the Defense Commissary Agency is proud to deliver,” Frankovich said. “There’s more to discover and many more ways to save at commissaries.com.”